Jamaica’s top-ranked squash player, Chris Binnie is on his way to joining the global elite of the sport. The Jamaica and Caribbean men’s squash champion for the last seven years, Binnie, 27, has also improved his Professional Squash Association (PSA) ranking to number 89 among the world’s best players as of this month, from 93 in March. This improvement came after he signed a one-year sponsorship agreement with JN Fund Managers Limited at the firm’s New Kingston office recently. “My goal is to be ranked as one of the top 50 players by December,” he said. “I believe I can do it.” The top 50 players form an elite of the sport, travelling the world to compete in the main events. Having a better ranking means the players get better placed in competitions and also have more options in choosing the competitions they find more attractive. Binnie has come a long way since April of 2012 when he had PSA ranking of 389. He progressed to a ranking of 131 by October 2013 joined the top 100 in November last year. Binnie’s optimism is also based on the success he is having with his new coach, Australian Rodney Martin, a former winner of the World Open Squash Championship who once ranked second in the world. Along with three other teammates, he has been going through a tough training programme to improve his overall match preparedness level, with his new coach. He said the sponsorship by JN Fund Managers would also help him achieve his goal. Based in Connecticut in the United States of America, he coaches at Trinity College in Hartford, and had been limited to playing matches mainly in North America. “This sponsorship allows me to go to more tournaments and select ones in Europe and Asia,” he said. “I need to take on the best players in the most competitive tournaments globally if I am to improve. And it requires funding to get to the matches and maintain myself while competing.” Brando Hayden, general manager of JN Fund Managers, said: “We admire what Chris Binnie has done for himself and for Jamaica. He has invested his time and talents, making him one of the top 100 squash players in the world. “We want to help him fulfil his dreams because his success will also pave the way for others,” Hayden said. Binnie himself launched the Jamaica Squash Association’s Grassroots Clinic to students of Papine High School and New Providence Primary School on March 20. And the programme at the University of Technology is noteworthy for the players who have emerged from that facility.
A new boxing club will open in the next fortnight in Newtoncunningham as final preparations are made to the facility before it opens.Owner and head coach of the new gym Patrick Sweeney is excited about the new gym and says anyone that has any interest in boxing can attend.Patrick told Donegal Daily, “We’re opening the new gym now in a couple of weeks, and we just want to get the word out there to let people know. “We’re hoping it will be ready to open in the next 2-3 weeks and we’re looking forward to getting the gym open.“Anyone regardless of age can come and train in the gym, as long as there willing to work hard and be disciplined everybody is welcome.The new gym will be located at Unit 1, Main Street, Newtoncunningham. COMMUNITY NOTICE: NEW BOXING CLUB TO OPEN IN NEWTONCUNNINGHAM was last modified: February 26th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:boxingCommunity NoticemanorcunninghamNew gymNoticesSport
Donegal Road Safety Working Group (DRSWG) is once again launching its Safe Cycling Initiative reminding all road users that road safety applies to every one of us – motorists, cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians.Brian O’Donnell, Road Safety Officer with Donegal County Council said all road users are vulnerable and have duties of care to each other.“The importance of motorists allowing a 1.5m passing distance when overtaking cyclists cannot be stressed enough and we also need to impress on motorists the vulnerability of cyclists and the need to respect them as road-using equals”. He added that evidence shows that excessive speed is one of the greatest threats on the road and any impact with a cyclist or pedestrian at even 50km an hour carries a 50 per cent death threat.Dealing with that particular vulnerability requires personal visibility and greater traffic awareness by all road users.The DRSWG is once again in conjunction with Donegal Sports Partnership distributing high viz gilets encouraging as many cyclists as possible wear them.Donegal County Council Road Safety Offcier Brian O’Donnell. (North West Newspix)Mr O’Donnell added “Cyclists need to be clearly visible and the distribution of high viz cycling gilets is a step in the right direction to help protect cyclists on the road. We received positive feedback from the cycling clubs following this campaign last year and we hope that cycling clubs will continue to promote this safe cycling initiative. “Cyclists have their own responsibilities regarding their own safety, lighting, high visibility clothing and helmets, clear signals and strict adherence to the rules of the road. We would like to shift the mentality and attitudes of cyclists to ensure that they take their own safety on board.“While there is bad behaviour by both cyclists and motorists, it is an unequal relationship and motorists should recognise their particular vulnerability, slow down and give them more room when overtaking.“The timing of this initiative is also appropriate following the success of last week’s National Bike Week and we hope to encourage as many as possible to wear the cycling gilets. Motorists, cyclists and pedestrians all need to share the road safely. We should all respect each other’s space and ensure that everyone stays safe.”To get a high viz gilets email firstname.lastname@example.org.Safety group launches Safe Cycling Initiative was last modified: July 1st, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:councilCYCLINGdonegalsafety
Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Andray Blatche. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netAndray Blatche’s status with the national team is still up in the air.Gilas Pilipinas coach Chot Reyes admitted that he’s still uncertain about the status of the Syracuse native, especially in the 2019 Fiba World Cup qualifiers.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension “With the current format, we will play two games in November. How are you going to approach that? It’s a very difficult situation,” stressed the mentor.Another challenge is convincing prospects to stay in the country and not entertain offers elsewhere if SBP decides to naturalize another player.“It’s another way, to hire a full-time naturalized player who will be with us day-in and day-out, but that’s going to be very costly. We are talking to several prospects, but that’s not easy. You have to convince them to stay here and not think about the other leagues. Also, we have to go through the Congress and their contracts. It’s really a tedious process,” he said. “That’s why we are very happy that we have a reliable big man in Christian (Standhardinger), but he will also leave for the ABL in November.”Despite all the problems, Reyes shared that SBP is still in constant communication with Blatche’s camp.“We’re in constantly in touch with his agents. That’s just the way it is and that’s how difficult the situation we’re in with,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding LOOK: McGregor congratulates Mayweather, says he has ‘strong tools’ for MMA Read Next “The situation with Andray is very fluid situation, a constant work in progress for us,” the mentor said Thursday at the homecoming presser hosted by Chooks-to-go at Marco Polo in Ortigas. “By November, he will be playing in his Chinese team so we don’t know if his Chinese team is going to allow him to play.”Gilas’ woes with its naturalized player coincides with the problem of adjusting to the new competition schedule, which Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) has been working on for the better part of the year.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe home-and-away qualifiers begin on November, right in the middle of the various national professional tournaments in Asia.That will leave Blatche, who is playing with the Xinjiang Flying Tigers in the Chinese Basketball Association, as well as majority of the PBA players out for the games, unless the SBP comes up with a plan amenable to all the parties involved. View comments Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games MOST READ
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Napoli legend Diego Maradona tells fans he’s fineby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNapoli legend Diego Maradona has told fans he’s fine after a health scare.A routine check-up showed blood in his stomach last week.However, he was sent home a few hours later and spoke to supporters via social media.“I want to thank you for the messages of encouragement. I’m fine and sorry to have worried you for no reason.“I wish to reassure you that there’s nothing serious, I am fine. Today I am taking care of my grandchildren Benja, Dieguito Matias and my son Diego Fernando.“A kiss to you all.”
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Barcelona battling to have Dembele red card overturnedby Carlos Volcano17 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele’s red card against Sevilla is unlikely to be overturned.It will mean he is set to miss the clash with Real Madrid. The RFEF code says insulting a referee comes with at least a two game ban.Mateo Lahoz sent off Dembele for saying “very bad, you’re very bad” after he dismissed Ronald Araujo on the defender’s Barca debut.In 2016 Celta midfielder Fabian Orellana was banned for three games for telling the referee “how bad you are”. Two for the insult and one for getting two bookings.
florida bill horschel gator chompThe Florida-Florida State rivalry has surfaced at the PGA’s The Players Championship event in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., this weekend. Former Gators’ golfer Billy Horschel wore his Florida colors during the tournament’s third round on Saturday. On the course’s famed No. 17 hole, he was taunted by some FSU fans with the tomahawk chomp. He responded by birdieing the hole. Then he did the Gator chomp. After his round, he was asked about that moment. He responded by criticizing Florida State’s “bandwagon” fans. Billy says fsu fans are bandwagon fans. Go Billy! Go Gators!Posted by Glenn Irvine on Saturday, May 9, 2015As of 3:25 p.m. E.T., Horschel is tied for sixth at -8. He’s six holes into his final round. We could be seeing some more Gator chomps today if he continues to play well. [247 Sports]
Iowa State Court StormOn the same day they were voted No. 1 in both major polls ,Oklahoma suffered its second loss of the season, 82-77 at the hands of No. 19 Iowa State.And how did the fans in Ames celebrate the big victory? With a huge court storm, how else?Another No. 1 goes down, another court storm https://t.co/s9C2OvR5bO— David Gardner (@byDavidGardner) January 19, 2016Shout out to security. Great protection of OU in court Storm pic.twitter.com/vXv9ipdypT— Reid Forgrave (@ReidForgrave) January 19, 2016Storm that court! pic.twitter.com/4XTDIyoE8A— Anthony Samuelson (@ajsamuelson) January 19, 2016Storming the court when your team is also ranked? We’re not sure about that. But we do know one thing: the Big 12 is flat-out awesome this year. Every Big Monday game in the conference is must-see TV.
APTN National NewsThursday marked the 17th anniversary of the shooting death of Dudley George.George was an unarmed First Nation activist killed during the Ipperwash Park land dispute in Ontario.His death led to the Ipperwash inquiry.APTN National News reporter Delaney Windigo has this story.
New Delhi: Congress President Rahul Gandhi on Friday said that hatred was cowardice and he loves all living beings including those temporarily blinded by hatred. Gandhi made the remarks in a tweet on a day he created a surprise by saying he loved Prime Minister Narendra Modi. “Hatred is cowardice. I don’t care if the entire world is full of hatred. I am not a coward. I will not hide behind hate and anger. I love all living beings, including those temporarily blinded by hatred,” Gandhi said. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details Earlier in the day, speaking at an event in Pune, Gandhi virtually brought the house down on Friday when he said: “I love Narendra Modi.” In a free-wheeling live interaction with over 5,000 college students, Gandhi took wide-ranging questions from the gathering, largely pertaining to jobs, education, healthcare and some even personal. Answering a poser from a student, he paused and said: “I love (Prime Minister) Narendra Modi. I really do, seriously. I have no anger against him. I love him. But he has anger towards me.” The comment was greeted with thunderous cheers and applause from the students, stunned even the hosts and the media, coming as it at the height of the Lok Sabha election season when both the ruling and opposition sides are firing poisonous darts at each other. Some students also raised slogans of Modi, Modi.