Despite the lure and prestige of schoolboy football sponsors Flow hosting their trademark Flow Super Cup matches at the country’s more prestigious venues, Inter-Secondary School Sports Association (ISSA) competitions officer George Forbes said his organisation can only afford to host Manning and Walker Cup matches at the Constant Spring Field and Spanish Town Prison Oval.Forbes was asked to comment on the situation after second-round matches between Wolmer’s Boys’ and Vauxhall High and defending champions Jamaica College vs Holy Trinity were affected by rain at the Constant Spring venue.The Wolmer’s-Vauxhall match was called off by the referee due to a waterlogged field, with six minutes of play remaining.The match official, who seemed to play it by the rules for the JC vs Holy Trinity game, a rule which posits that once 80 per cent of the field is playable, then the game should be played, saw defending champions JC and Holy Trinity draw 0-0 in a game which began at 4p.m. and concluded under lights.”Definitely, here (Constant Spring) is what we can afford. Flow can play their matches where they play them, but we (ISSA) don’t have the between five and $800,000 and up to a $1 million to put on a game,” the ISSA competitions officer told The Gleaner in an interview.Gate receipts”If you look at the crowd here, I don’t think we have collected $100,000 at the gate, so it is not prudent for us to put a match where you are going to spend four, five million dollars and you collect $100,000 at the gate,” he reasoned at Constant Spring on Monday, while the Manning Cup matches were in progress.Forbes noted that there has been ongoing debate over venue selection for the last five years.”Look at the Premier League venues. Boys’ Town don’t have any field. Waterhouse could not play there. Arnett Gardens is the only place that we could play and the parents for most of the kids (players) don’t want them to go to these inner-city venues in the second round,” he stressed.Constant Spring, Forbes contends, meets the safety requirements, affordability and accessibility.”We have made some improvements to Constant Spring. We have invested some money in it. There is some more work to be done, and it’s something the Constant Spring management and ISSA have to sit down and look into for next year,” he assured, adding that vehicular parking in muddy areas will be addressed.
He earned his 32nd race victory in 2005 and showed he can still be competitive after a couple of poor seasons. Now, Jarrett would like to build on that with the help of new crew chief Richard “Slugger” Labbe and Ford’s new Fusion race car. A good start for the Robert Yates Racing driver would be a win in the season-opening Daytona 500. Jarrett is a three-time winner of NASCAR’s premier event, but has not won it since 2000. DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Former NASCAR champion Dale Jarrett has a new crew chief, a new car and a whole lot of hope as he prepares for the 2006 season. The 49-year-old Jarrett is coming off a year in which he made a strong run at qualifying for the 10-race season-ending Chase for the Nextel Cup championship before fading to 15th in the points. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card“You like to think every time you come here you have that opportunity at least, but you look at it and we’ve had kind of a dry spell as far as running well here,” said Jarrett, who sat on the pole and finished 15th in last year’s 500. “We’ve won some poles and things, but that’s not really what we’re after.” Jarrett is taking part in a three-day test for Cup teams this week at Daytona International Speedway, and he said Tuesday he is buoyed by the way things are going for his team. “I believe that with the change to the Fusion that that’s going to allow the Fords to get themselves in a position to be more of a factor in the Daytona 500 this year,” Jarrett said. “I think that I’m correct in saying that a Ford hasn’t won since we did that in 2000, and I think if you look back you probably wont see many laps led by a Ford during that time. “So I believe the Fusion is going to allow us to, again, be more competitive and have that opportunity again. So, I’m excited about it.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!