However, the Jim Goldie-trained eight-year-old could manage only sixth place, forcing Buick to admit defeat in his gallant pursuit of a first jockeys’ championship. Oisin Murphy will officially be crowned Britain’s champion Flat jockey for a second time at Doncaster on Saturday after William Buick’s faint hopes of lifting the crown ended at Newcastle on Friday evening.Reigning champion Murphy signed off for the season with a double at Southwell on Tuesday to take his tally for the campaign to 142, after which he headed for Kentucky to ride The Lir Jet and Kameko at the Breeders’ Cup.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – Buick closed the gap to nine with a winner at Kempton on Wednesday and a double at the same venue on Thursday – but his championship ambitions were dealt a major blow after Thursday’s card was abandoned after three races due to fog, meaning Buick missed four rides.With seven booked rides on the final afternoon at Doncaster on Saturday, Buick needed to steer home at least two winners from four mounts at Newcastle to keep the title race alive.After finishing fourth aboard Mustarrid in the first race and second on Frow in division one of the seven-furlong handicap, Buick was relying on Strong Steps to win division two to make a title win mathematically possible.- Advertisement –
INDIANAPOLIS – State unemployment numbers dropped by one-tenth of a percentage point in September to 5.7 percent.September marks the ninth consecutive month Indiana’s rate has been below the national average. The addition of more than 50,000 individuals to the labor force in the past year ranks as one of the largest increased in the U.S.The state grew nearly 6,000 manufacturing jobs last month, which constituted one of the largest one-month increases in a decade and ranked as one of the largest in the nation.Despite sizeable gains in the Manufacturing sector in September, losses concentrated mainly in the Leisure and Hospitality, and the Trade, Transportation and Utilities sectors.Local jobless numbers are highlighted by Decatur County which continues to trend down to a September mark of 4.6 percent.The rate in Ripley, Franklin and Dearborn counties all decreased to 5.5 percent.Fayette County also had declining numbers to 6.7 percent, compared to 7.4 percent in August.
“I was hungry, though we were all hungry,” said Thibile, 32, an engineering assistant who had been underground since early Wednesday morning. He was given a cold beef sandwich and a bottle of water when he reached the surface. “Most of the people are scared, and we also have some women miners there underground,” he said. One large group emerged from the shaft singing traditional songs and stamping their feet with joy despite their exhaustion. They were greeted by a crowd of ululating female miners. Relatives had complained that they had not been given enough information about their loved ones. “I am very traumatized, exhausted, not knowing what is going on,” said Sam Ramohanoe, whose wife was among those trapped. “It is very unfair to us, not knowing what is going on with our beloved ones.” Officials had hoped to rescue all the miners by lunchtime, but it ended up taking hours longer. The mine owner and South Africa’s minerals and energy minister vowed to improve safety in one of the country’s most important industries after the accident prompted allegations that the industry cut safety corners and didn’t properly maintain the mine. The union threatened to strike if its safety demands were not met. Amelia Soares, spokeswoman for Harmony, said the mine had won a number of safety awards and had never seen any fatal accidents. She said the company was likely to suffer considerable losses in output during the closure. “We have to recommit ourselves to refocus on safety in this country; our safety record both as a company and an industry leave much to be desired,” Harmony chairman Patrice Motsepe said, according to the South African Press Association.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! ACCIDENT: No casualties reported, but many who were stranded a mile underground are exhausted and angry. By Michelle Faul THE ASSOCIATED PRESS CARLETONVILLE, South Africa – The last of 3,200 gold miners trapped for more than 24 hours in a deep shaft were brought safely to the surface Thursday night, ending one of South Africa’s biggest rescue operations, mining officials said. The final workers emerged just after 9 p.m., singing and dancing, according to the Harmony Gold Mining Co. No casualties were reported. A pressurized air pipe snapped at the mine near Johannesburg and tumbled down a shaft Wednesday, causing extensive damage to an elevator and stranding the miners. The joyful reunions were mixed with anger, fear and renewed concern about safety standards in a country that is the world’s largest gold miner. The miners were brought to the surface in a smaller cage in another shaft that can hold about 75 miners at a time. Most who emerged into the blinding sunlight looked dazed and exhausted. “We nearly died down there,” one man yelled as he walked past reporters. “I’d rather leave (the job) than die in the mine.” Sethiri Thibile, who was in the first batch of miners to be rescued about 19 hours after the accident, said there was no food or water in the mine.
Stay on target Elon Musk’s Cheeky ‘Nuke Mars!’ Post Is Taking Over TwitterA ‘Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge’-Themed Cookbook Is Coming This Fall A California town is suing the owner of a bizarre Flintstone House after she reportedly violated local codes with her dinosaur sculptures and landscape changes.The town of Hillsborough, which dubbed the quirky home a “public nuisance,” filed a complaint this week against Florence Fang, a former publisher who bought the bright house two years ago, Fox News reported. Fang reportedly installed big metal sculptures, a driveway sign that read “Yabba Dabba Doo,” figurines of The Flintstones characters, and other front and backyard additions.Last fall, a code enforcement panel said the changes caused “a highly visible eyesore and are out of keeping with community standards.” A complaint was filed against Fang after she didn’t comply with the panel’s order to take down the “irritating” additions and decor.Despite these allegations, Fang’s grandson said his grandmother will fight to keep the “Yabba Dabba Doo” vibe of her home: “I think the dinosaurs are beautiful,” Sean Fang told Fox News. “They make everyone smile and should stay.”More on Geek.com:These Are the World’s 12 Weirdest BridgesWatch: This Baby’s First Word Is ‘Google’‘Miracle’ Coin That Saved WWII Soldier’s Life Goes Up for Auction