Duterte won’t extend martial in Mindanao law, says Palace

Duterte won’t extend martial in Mindanao law, says Palace

first_img He said the Palace is confident on the capability of the security forces in maintaining the peace and security of Mindanao sans martial law. “The people of Mindanao are assured that any incipient major threat in the region would be nipped in the bud,” Panelo added. It has since been in effect after Congress, in special joint sessions, voted to approve its extension thrice — from July 1 to Dec. 31, 2017; from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2018; and from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2019./PN “The decision of the President showed how he responds to the situation on the ground despite the suppositions of the vocal minority on the proclamation of martial law in Mindanao,” he also said. Duterte came up with a decision after holding a joint command conference with military and police officials earlier this week, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said. Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte will no longer extend martial law in Mindanao upon its expiration on Dec. 31, Malacañang said. President Duterte declared martial law in Mindanao on May 23, 2017 following attacks launched by the Islamic State-linked Maute Group in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur. “The President made the decision following the assessment of his security and defense advisers of the weakening of the terrorist and extremist rebellion, a result of the capture or neutralization of their leaders, as well as the decrease in the crime index, among the factors considered,” Panelo added.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *