Syracuse men’s soccer has started to move the boulder. So says first-year head coach Ian McIntyre. In the first season — a season in which McIntyre’s team was primarily comprised of newcomers — SU was simply making that first push. It was building a team, establishing a core, learning to play as a unit and slowly trying to set the boulder that is the SU soccer program in motion. Although McIntyre said the 2-10-5 season was ‘disappointing’ given the high hopes for the program, he realizes this season was just the first step. ‘There’s high expectations in this program and that’s exciting,’ McIntyre said. ‘We feel that we have a bright future. But you understand. You use the metaphor that you’ve got to get this boulder moving, and the hardest work is always that initial force required and then as things get rolling, things get a little easier.’ The team had the fewest wins of any SU team since 1971. It was unable to score in nine of its 17 games and amassed just 10 goals the whole season. But much of this disappointment is likely a result of the fact that this was a building year.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Coming into the season, 10 players on a team of 30 were returners. The team had no base to build from. The only way to describe the hodgepodge of returners, transfers and freshmen was ‘new.’ It was this newness that encompassed the team all season. There was an upside for many of the returners as they were given a fresh start, but on the field a lack of familiarity was apparent. For the transfers and the returning players, the new coaching staff and the changes to the team meant getting to start over. Particularly for the returners who endured a season of intra-team conflict over the ultimate firing of former head coach Dean Foti, the clean slate was important. Sophomore David Neumann said particularly after a bad season last year (3-15-0), it gave the players new hope. ‘Coming into the season with a fresh outlook, new faces, it was like we were starting over again,’ Neumann said. ‘Almost like it was my first year again, being able to start over.’ Yet the team had little time to mature, individually and together. It took some time for players to figure out where their teammates would be, junior Nick Roydhouse said. The communication issues often led to turnovers and kept the Orange from stringing passes together. During the course of the season, four freshmen got playing time. Brett Jankouskas and Robbie Hughes started most of the games. But having such young players can be challenging. McIntyre said they had to get used to the physicality and speed of college soccer, which takes time. The burden was placed on them to truck on anyway. ‘We’re a work in progress,’ McIntyre said. ‘We will continue to evolve as a team. A lot of young players got a lot of experience this year. … And perhaps players that we would have liked to have slowly introduced to our program and Division I soccer really had a baptism by fire this year.’ Looking ahead, however, the Orange has established its core group. In the offseason, Neumann anticipates the players will continue to work on getting to know each other. This will specifically take the form of ball work, to eliminate the communication issues. And with the season only over for four days, the team was already back on the field running. It struggled with fitness throughout the season and was unable to catch up given the short time between games. Next year there will be no excuses. As Roydhouse said, ‘You can never be too fit.’ So with the first push behind it, Syracuse continues to get that boulder up to speed. ‘We’ve got a really good core group now to work off,’ Roydhouse said. ‘Everybody kind of knows what’s going on. And it will be easier for new players to come and just to see what’s happening from the players that are already here so they can catch up and join them.’ [email protected] Published on November 3, 2010 at 12:00 pm Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
Director of Energy, Dr Mark Bynoe has admitted that his Department may have dropped the ball by not being diligent in awarding media company, Videomega Productions – which is owned by Telecommunications Minister Cathy Hughes, contracts to do advertisement.“The Department went for an individual or requested an individual. It wasn’t asking for a firm. To the extent that a firm subsequently was contracted, is somehow not where we wanted to go. The one issue, maybe, that the Department can be accused of is possibly not doing sufficient due diligence.But from where I sit as Director, I welcome any possible investigation of any sort that persons may feel to clear the air in terms of whether there were any nefarious activities or whether it was a case of favouritism,” Dr Bynoe noted.According to the Director of Energy at a press conference on Friday, they had initially requested an individual instead of a firm because it was more cost effective.“It is not, as was inaccurately reported, a multimillion-dollar project. This was largely a small project for an individual, which is why we were going for an individual rather than a firm… Another consideration is that what it would have cost us to go for a firm against an individual. It would have cost us significantly more to do three PSAs [Public Service Announcements] for television purposes and three for radio. So it was nothing more than us trying to ensure that we’re getting the messages out to the Guyanese Public,” he explained.Videomega Productions recently came under the spotlight after it was revealed that it had been awarded contracts to do ads for the Department of Energy.Subsequently, however, the PPP Opposition had disclosed that the company also benefited from several other contracts from various Ministries last year.In fact, Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo has called for a full investigation into the matter, saying that it is a clear case of conflict of interest. He claimed that within four months in 2018, contracts totalling some $10.3 million were awarded to the company from various Ministries. Three of those contracts totalling $3.350 million were from Hughes’ Ministry, he said.“So this warrants a full-fledged investigation [into contracts awarded]. The Minister signs the cheques. You cannot give up day-to-day running from 2015 and then be signing cheques to place ads on behalf of the company,” Jagdeo argued at his weekly press conference on Thursday.Videomega Productions recently released several invoices for work it did arranging advertisements for various Ministries after it came under the spotlight for a contract that it had been awarded in connection with the Department of Energy. According to the company’s release, a total of $3.6 million was paid to the media houses, but according to Videomega Productions, all it pocketed was a 15 per cent agency commission totalling $481,577.The contract that Hughes’ Ministry awarded to her company was for ads ranging from full paged, full colour to 7×2 in size to be placed in the daily newspapers for its Caribbean Information Communication Technology (ICT) roadshow 2018.In addition, the Natural Resources Ministry also commissioned Hughes’ company to produce full-page, full-colour camera-ready artwork that was placed in almost all the dailies on March 22, 2018. This cost $406,501.Ads were also placed in all the dailies for the tobacco legislation media campaign on behalf of the Public Health Ministry in October and November of 2018. These two campaigns cost $1 million each.Since 2015, the company has been managed by Russel Lancaster and received contracts from the Energy Department to produce television Public Service Announcements (PSAs) for the Department, which is coordinating preparations for Guyana’s oil and gas sector.It had been reported that the company was also contracted to produce brochures. It is unclear at this point in time what, if any, tendering process the Minister’s company went through to get these contracts.Nevertheless, Minister Hughes, as well as the company, has been contending that she played no part in the running of her company after 2015 and had no knowledge of the Government contracts it was receiving.However, in a statement last week, Transparency International Guyana Inc (TIGI) pointed out that while there may not be any direct actions that constitute a “conflict of interest”, whenever a Minister or public official owns or has private interests in a company then there is the possibility of favouritism being shown to that company due to the known association with the Government.TIGI further noted that an examination of the procurement procedures would provide important insights on the potential for such an occurrence. As such, the transparency watchdog added that in order for Guyana to make progress with regards to “transparency and corruption perception” then it is important to address issues that arise decisively and in ways that close opportunities for recurrence.“Establishing a clear policy on specific actions that should be taken by Ministers and other public officials who have firms that compete for local business especially with the Government would enhance our attempts to address conflict of interest in Government. We should also recognise that the code of conduct for public officers is weak. It fails to articulate any specific penalties for breaches and it should be strengthened,” TIGI asserted.Telecommunications Minister Cathy Hughes
Wolves boss Nuno pleased with victory over Watfordby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves boss Nuno was pleased for his players and supporters after they ended their wait for three Premier League points against Watford.Matt Doherty’s opener was added to by Daryl Janmaat’s own goal after the break, which saw Wolves pick up three points and rise up the table. Nuno said, “It was a good performance. First-half we began very well, creating a lot of problems, good in possession, with good lines and I’m happy for that. We did a very good game.“We organised defensively well, we didn’t allow many situations for Watford, they didn’t create much and we had clear chances to score.“I’m happy for the boys and I’m happy for the fans because it was important, everybody felt that, but we have to grow.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
florida bill horschel gator chompThe Florida-Florida State rivalry has surfaced at the PGA’s The Players Championship event in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., this weekend. Former Gators’ golfer Billy Horschel wore his Florida colors during the tournament’s third round on Saturday. On the course’s famed No. 17 hole, he was taunted by some FSU fans with the tomahawk chomp. He responded by birdieing the hole. Then he did the Gator chomp. After his round, he was asked about that moment. He responded by criticizing Florida State’s “bandwagon” fans. Billy says fsu fans are bandwagon fans. Go Billy! Go Gators!Posted by Glenn Irvine on Saturday, May 9, 2015As of 3:25 p.m. E.T., Horschel is tied for sixth at -8. He’s six holes into his final round. We could be seeing some more Gator chomps today if he continues to play well. [247 Sports]
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C – With the completion of a wildlife study on the Fish Creek Forest trails, Council has given the go-ahead to develop the trail system based on the recommendations of the wildlife assessment prepared by Roy Northern Environmental Ltd.As the report concluded there would be minimal impact on local wildlife the development of new trails to replace the closed portion of the Silviculture trail at Fish Creek can now proceed.In February, Robin Langille, Director of Facilities and Grounds for the City of Fort St. John shared in his presentation to Council potential new trails to increase the length of the trail network and increase connectivity through the trails as the Silviculture trail was now closed. In the presentation an internal loop trail or the figure 8 trail was recognized as a potential solution to the trail system as Langille shares they found a trail that the footing of the trail has already had alignment and grading created, going on to share it has probably been used by people yet the ‘entranceway’ to the trail was not so noticeable and would require being opened up.Mayor Lori Ackerman addressed concerns with the new trail as it may have actually have been created by Wildlife. Ackerman shared she wanted to keep both wildlife and users of the trails separate from each other, to keep both safe by limiting opportunities to have surprise interactions.Ackerman went on to share the City needed to know in fact, if this is a game trail by involving a B.C. Conservation Officer or someone with Wildlife experience before the City staff proceeds with implementing the new trail system.To view the Report; CLICK HERE
New Delhi: Finally, Mahagathbandhan (Grand Alliance) made it official its seat-sharing formula on Friday.Interestingly, top leaders like Tejashwi Yadav, Upendra Kushwaha, Sharad Yadav and Jitan Ram Manjhi gave a miss to the much-awaited press conference to announce the seat-sharing pact and it was announced by state leaders of alliance partners only. As it was first reported by the Millennium Post that Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) — the key constituent of the Grand Alliance — would get lion’s share, so Lalu Prasad Yadav’s RJD will contest on 20 seats out of total 40 seats and Congress has settled with nine seats in the state. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’While talking to reporters in Patna, RJD national spokesperson Manoj Jha and RJD state president Ram Chandra Purve said that former JD(U) president and NDA convener Sharad Yadav will be contesting on an RJD symbol and merge his party Loktantrik Janata Dal (LJD) with it after the Lok Sabha polls. Recent entrants to the Mahagathbandhan Upendra Kushwaha’s Rashtriya Lok Samta Party (RLSP) and Mukesh Sahni’s Vikasheel Insan Party (VIP) will field their candidates on five and three seats respectively, while former chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi’s Hindustan Awam Morcha (HAM) has been given three seats, including Aurangabad, which was once represented by former governor Nikhil Kumar. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KLeaders of all the alliance partners of the Mahagathbandhan, including Bihar Pradesh Congress Committee (BPCC) president Madan Mohan Jha was also present at the press conference. The candidates were also announced for the Lok Sabha seats that would go to polls in the first phase, for which filing of nominations will end on March 25 and votes will be cast on April 11. In the first phase, the polls would be held on Gaya, Nawada, Aurangabad and Jamui seats. The Mahagadbandhan candidates for all the four seats are Jitan Ram Manjhi from Gaya, Vibha Devi, the wife of RJD’s notorious leader Raj Ballabh Yadav who is serving a jail term for raping a minor, Upendra Rai from Aurangabad and Bhudev Choudhary from Jamui seat. In the first phase, the HAM will contest on two seats — Gaya and Aurangabad – out of its total share of three seats, while RLSP would contest on one – Jamui – out of its total share of five seats and RJD on one — Nawada — out of 20 seats. As per sources, the seat-sharing pact was delayed as Congress and HAM had locked their horns over Aurangabad seat. Notably, former Delhi Police Commissioner Nikhil Kumar had represented Aurangabad Lok Sabha seat in 2004 on the Congress ticket. The NDA is likely to field its sitting MP Sushil Kumar Singh from Aurangabad, Veena Devi from Nawada, Chirag Paswan from Jamui. While announcing the seat-sharing decision, Bihar RJD chief Ram Chandra Purve said, “CPI(ML) will contest one seat from the RJD quota. Five seats have been allocated to the RLSP and three to VIP and HAM(S) respectively. Jitan Ram Manjhi will contest from Gaya.” On being asked ‘how can you say’ ‘all is well’ when your leader (Tejashwi Yadav) doesn’t come, RJD spokesperson Manoj Jha said, “Am I nothing in my party? You are making me insignificant? If format changes at the last moment, it’s a party’s decision, do not question that.” RJD leader Tejashwi Prasad Yadav had on Wednesday said that Bihar’s Mahagathbandhan’ is intact, rubbishing rumours that all was not well in the ‘grand alliance’. He had called it “a union of hearts and not just of parties (dalon ka nahin, dilon ka gathbandhan hai). “There is no heartburn among the alliance partners,” he had averred.
‘Under the Banyan Tree on a Full Moon Night’ brings together dynamic and diverse styles of music for the audience – to witness performances by musicians under the tranquil repose of a banyan tree with minarets of the iconic Qutub Minar as the backdrop. The Baithak-style evenings, where moonlight and music blend to recreate the poetic charm of traditional musical gatherings, offer audiences an intimate experience with the like-minded and an opportunity to engage with the musicians. Also Read – An income drop can harm brainWith the April leg of this series, ‘Under the Banyan Tree on a Full Moon Night’, produced by Teamwork Arts will return to the Capital on April 20, to celebrate the sounds and styles of Folk. From small groups gathering around the proverbial fire to sing about topics intrinsic to their experience, folk music has grown into the heart of every community’s shared history. In a way, all music finds its roots in folk. Signature melodies, instruments and concepts form the basis of this rustic genre. Also Read – Shallu Jindal honoured with Mahatma AwardThe first performer of the evening, Mooralala Marwada, is a Sufi folk singer from the Janana village of the Kutch District in Gujarat who comes from a long line of Meghwal singers. He sings the poetry of Kabir, Mirabai, Ravidas and others in the Kaafi-style which has evolved and been adopted by the Hindu singers of Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai. He has also been featured on the Kabir Project. Followed by a presentation by Arya’s Kabir Café, a neo-folk fusion band that plays the poetry of 15th-century Indian mystic Kabir in a substrate of Indian folk music, mixed with Rock, Reggae, Pop and Carnatic music. The band which includes members like Neeraj Arya, Mukund Ramaswamy, Viren Solanki, and Poubuanpou Britto KC has performed over 700 shows in India and across the world. This bespoke concert series is the perfect place to enjoy fantastic performances in a stunning venue in the company of a discerning group of music aficionados.
The company announced its plan in the Fall of 2017, to decommission the Terminal in order to start transporting oil via an undersea pipeline across the Cook Inlet. The company intends to deliver oil to Nikiski, including the Andeavor Refinery. CIPL is seeking approval by the commision now in order to be able to begin decommissioning activities at the beginning of 2019, according to filed documents.